I have been meaning to try my hand at creating a neck piece by upcycling a men’s tie for quite a while now. I came across this black tie with a skull and crossbones pattern and decided to give it a go.
Choosing this particular tie presented a few challenges. I did not consider that a tie on the slimmer side might not work as well as a more common or wider width. I tried a few different ideas for folding, pleating, gathering and forming the length and width to the right neck line and shape before I was finally satisfied with the result. The other issue was that this tie has a one way pattern and not an all over print. I had to pay attention to that in order to ensure that the skull and crossbones pattern did not end up upside down when coming around the other side of the neck. The addition of some rhinestone trim and a sparkly bow added a final feminine touch.
All in all this piece turned out pretty well and if I managed to figure this first one out with all its hiccups, then the next one should be a breeze!